Shubert Foundation grants are awarded exclusively to US organizations, which must have current 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status in order to be eligible for funding.
The Foundation provides grants only to organizations that have an established artistic and administrative track record, as well as a history of fiscal responsibility.
The Foundation does not make grants to individuals, nor does it provide funds for project support, audience development, direct subsidy of reduced-price admissions, conduit organizations (agencies that disburse funds to individuals or other organizations), media (film, TV and radio), renovation projects, loans, capital or endowment campaigns.
Criteria range from the general to those specific to each applicant; they include:
- Record of artistic achievement
- Impact of the organization and its programs
- Record of developing new work
- Other significant contributions to the field
- Administrative strength
- Ability to generate both earned and contributed income
- Fiscal stability